Monday, March 14, 2005

Seventh posting - more house

Although I have yet to look at a single new condo/apartment, I already have dreams (fantasies?) about how cool my new place will be.

Picture the warehouse district in Stamford (no, not the grungy, sketchy area that is really the warehouse district, but the quickly gentrifying, buy-a-place-before-the-real-estate-is-smokin'-hot district) and a top floor loft in an already zoned and utility-ready building. Awesome? Right on! It's got super high floor to ceiling windows and views of the Long Island Sound (magically, the view doesn't include the sub-urban blight of current reality). Wood floors, exposed pipes, and one wall has exposed red brick (the building was once a brewery, and I'll convert the remaining vat into a sauna). It's all one giant room, so with the money I'm saving (yes, it's my fantasy), I'll put up a low-key divider between the bedroom and the rest of the place. New furniture can wait...although I have to buy a wardrobe (only one closet).

The kitchen will be an island near the middle of the main room. No fancy appliances yet -- and no dishwasher or microwave. Haven't had them since grad school and am fine living the life of a Luddite. Kitchen table not necessary as island has a peninsula with seating for 8. The elevator I'll have to take to get to my new place is rusty, creaky and of questionable safety, but it'll easily hold 4 people and 4 bikes. (Martha won't be able to drive her car into it, though...)

This will keep me going for awhile until I get a rude slap of reality next weekend, when my first pavement pounding for a new pad begins.

That's all, NATHAN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm. Nathan. Live life in the fantasy world for a while. Not to worry. Once you hit the pavement you'll be slapped by the harsh reality that for $699K you can buy a really not that lovely looking house down the street from where people sell crack. We saw one and saw the people selling the crack and thought "wow what a crazy world this is." Home shopping is fun. As much fun as I found the actual shopping (with all the crack and all else), the real stress lies in the escrow.

Nathanael Roe said...

I still only vaguely know what Escrow is. Sort of like lettuce, right?