Friday, March 04, 2005

Fifth posting - radio/sound

Driving in to the office this morning, I was thinking about a couple of things. First, do I have the ability to make myself deaf? In other words, can I scream loud enough to actually damage my own ability to hear? It seems unlikely that biologically we are capable of doing so, just as we are physically unable to choke ourselves to death. (I could be wrong on choking, but I'm guessing that's true.)

The other thought was about public radio. Generally I do not have an addictive personality (with the exception of coffee, and fresh air) -- but when I miss listening to at least a few minutes of NPR to and from the office, I feel like I've missed something big. This morning, even when I knew the only news would be Martha Stewart leaving prison at 2 in the morning (how is that "news" when we knew it was going to happen months ago?) and Bush trying hard to make himself sound intelligent somewhere, I felt obligated to listen to NPR.

Also a friend once pointed out that NPR rewards listeners who play close attention to the music. Today, for example, there was a story about the discovery of an unusually short human in Southeast Asia from 13,000 years ago who has been nicknamed Hobbitt. His brain was the size of a grapefruit -- evidently too small to do the things some scientists think he did, like sail and make and use tools -- so of course there is some controversy. The best part, however, was the snippet of music that followed the story, the theme from Lord of the Rings. I couldn't help but smile.

Have a great weekend. NATHAN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, and maybe an addiction to having control of the remote. hee hee Just teasing N!

I always feel that way about FUV in the morning, I feel like I haven't started the day out right if FUV wasn't on in the car. A little music in the morning smooths out the rough edges and I truly feel that I can have a fresh start to the day.

Mind you, I also like to watch a little bit of the Today Show too, but it is usually much trashier than FUV. Speaking of which, the girl who was fired last night was on as we were on our way out the door. Talk about a trashy makeover!