Thursday, March 03, 2005

Fourth posting - Idol

I've been thinking about music. At the office, I listen to BBC6 online, with DJs who remind me of intellectual and slightly edgier versions of the Spice Girls. Very cool. Kind of like when you travel abroad and watch MTV Europe, MTV Asia, etc., but without the ABBA and Roxette retrospectives. Plus, music from the UK is inherently more interesting than our stuff anyway...

So as I watched American Idol last night -- http://www.idolonfox.com -- I thought about something I heard on NPR a while ago. Supposedly, a group of musicologists/ technical experts have looked at a long list of songs that have been commercially successful and discovered key elements they shared. I don't remember what those elements were (not sure if they were reported), but wouldn't it be interesting to have a song created and sung by American Idol performers completely based on the top song analysis?

I am not ashamed to say I'm a fan of the show, and I think it's great that no one is pretending these people are the best musicians in the United States. The potential for commercial success is what's driving Idol's success (and the judges' biases), but I think it would be kind of an interesting experiment to see if a song created using scientific analysis would be an instantaneous hit. Just a thought...

NATHAN out.

No comments: