Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Thirty-sixth posting - smell

A couple of thoughts for you, kids. As I drove home from the office yesterday, windows open, I noticed a smell that was vaguely familiar. I couldn’t place it immediately but then the smell conjured up a nice memory of being at my neighborhood pool when I was 7 or 8, and waiting in line for a snow-cone or candy bar or soda… It was a sicky-sweet smell but not nauseating. I have no idea what on Interstate 287 could have been the source, but I certainly wasn’t interested enough to stop and investigate.

This morning the “smell” theme continued when the lovely folks who live on the floor below decided to awaken me with the delicious aroma of burning what seemed like an entire loaf of bread. One slice after another. Char one side and then the other. And make sure to waft that malodorous breeze up to my place, please…

And then on the drive in just now, another smell. This time it was the same one that I remember somewhere in Indiana or Missouri from when my family moved from Ohio to Oklahoma (yes, people do move TO Oklahoma…). Dad was up ahead in one car, and I was with my sister, Mom and dog, Abbott, in another. I was sure the smell was Abbott (of course). No one else noticed anything, and I have since smelled the same smell and now think it’s from a sycamore tree. Perhaps that’s my superpower – I can smell sycamores. Great. That’s like winning $40 in a $40,000,000 lottery. The smell of money, on the other hand…

Oh, one more thing. If you ever think that once you measure and re-measure the space where you want your new wood blinds to go, you’re done … you’re not. The blinds will be carefully ordered, picked up, and unpacked. Then you’ll wait a couple of days because you’re lazy, and then you’ll realize the blinds are 1 inch too wide and you’ll stomp on the floor in a rage. And then your neighbors will burn a loaf of bread the next morning in appreciation….

Happy smelling - NATHAN

1 comment:

Nathanael Roe said...

These days I'm not sure. If they do, it's prior to employment. Why do you ask?