Monday, September 19, 2005

Thirty-seventh posting - Central Park

Another biathlon in Central Park this weekend, and I did better than I had hoped. My time for the race (2 mi run + 12 mi bike + 2 mi run) was 1:09:34 (45th, top 16%) -- a decent improvement over my prior times of 1:15:54 (81st, top 24%) and 1:14:28 (127th, top 36%). I also bettered my placement among men (top 23%, from 44% and 32%) and my suprisingly more competitive age bracket (top 30%, vs 44% and 46%). There were still 2 women who finished ahead of me - both of whom looked pretty darn fit and had tri bars on their bikes. No big lessons learned from this, although I still have plenty of room to improve on my second run (I had the 39th best 1st run time, and the 65th best 2nd run!). I like the post-game analysis part of this -- makes me feel like I know more than I do...! I could do another in 3 weeks, but I don't really have time to train, so I don't know...

The night before the race I went to a very cool formal dinner/dance on Ellis Island. Felt like a beautiful wedding (at which I knew 1 person) although the wandering costumed "immigrants" chatting amongst themselves was somewhat creepy. I wasn't drinking, but I found myself thinking: "Oh, there's an immigrant looking for his country on the 3D map of the world." and "Look, the immigrants are searching for their relatives on the computer database." and "Huh, I wonder if that immigrant is supposed to be shoving a bottle of champagne in her basket, or is that part of the act?" Lots of lawyers around but fewer social skills than I would have expected. Some nice people, though.


Have a great week, and keep an eye out for booze-nabbing immigrant-actors ... NATHAN

No comments: