Monday, May 02, 2005

Twelth posting - food

So I've been minus one kitchen for way too long. By kitchen I mean the space itself as well as the appliances and all the kitchen stuff (dishes, pans, forks, etc.), not to mention the food. Sure, I have a small fridge and a microwave, but if I were to rank - in order - the essential parts of a kitchen, those are 2nd and 5th on the list. First is sink, and 3rd is stove, 4th is oven. Since the microwave became part of my life, I've used it twice.

Now about food. I'm involved with a few friends in something called Dinner Group. We just had our 3rd dinner. The way it works is as follows: The host chooses a theme and can (a) actually host the event, prepare a main course, and send out course assignments, or (b) come up with an alternative plan for dinner (e.g., restaurant). The inaugural dinner was Cajun (complete with beads and crayfish), the second was Mexican (think Rick Bayless, but yummier), and Saturday was Greek (Sophocles didn't eat as well...). There are no teetotlers among us (I'm not sure if I have any as friends, to be honest...), so well-chosen beverages also make up a good portion of the night's consumption. (NOTE: Ouzo is not a hangover-free potable...)

I bring up Dinner Group because it's been an enormous pain being involved and NOT having a kitchen. For those of you who know me, you also know I'm generally not a complainer, but I'm getting tired of washing my cereal bowl in my neighbor's sink, dumping my coffee grinds in their garbage -- and never really knowing what's for dinner. (I can tell you, it's not beef.) Thank goodness for great neighbors. I hope everyone's as lucky...

Wondering if there is anything edible at the company store, NATHAN

No comments: