Monday, May 16, 2005

Fifteenth posting - race again

On Sunday I competed in the Queens Biathlon (3.1 mile run + 20 mile ride + 3.1 mile run). Longest total distance I've ever run, and my first time in this event (so I had no idea what the course looked like, although I should have figured out something might be tough based on the hill that led up to the start).

My first run and ride were both decent (top 1/3rd of racers). Second run was not so great (middle 1/3rd). Overall, my time was 1:44:18. The longest race I'd ever done was just under 1hr 15min, and today my legs still feel like they could use a mighty good rubdown (note to self: use my sister's spa gift certificate for massage...). Overall I came in 64th of 163, and top 42% of men. My most competitive time was the bike (no surprise)... Fortunately, I did have enough energy at the end to shoot past a runner I'd been trailing for the last 2 miles. I checked the times last night and discovered the runner I passed was 60 years old. Pop goes the ego bubble.

Kudos out there to those of you who have been exercising more and have noticed that you're feeling good, sleeping better, eating more (!!!). It's all about balance, really -- and an easy to way to "win" for those of you with competitive streaks (just ten more situps...just twenty more minutes on the trail run...just 100 more yards on the rower...just enough under 30 minutes to be truly under 30 minute on my run...).

Get fit & have fun. NATHAN

No comments: