Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Seventeenth posting - kids

I found something online that I thought I'd share. What do you think the following list of skills represents?
  • Knows first and last name, age, birth date, address and phone number.
  • Knows the letters of the alphabet.
  • Knows some rhymes, poems, and songs.
  • Identifies objects in picture books.
  • Prints own name.
  • Counts to 10.
  • Knows size, position, and directions; for example, big and little, up and down.
  • Uses alternate feet going down stairs.
  • Completes simple puzzles.
  • Throws and catches a ball.
  • Draws and colors beyond scribbling.
  • Cuts with scissors.
  • Recognizes and names colors and shapes.
  • Names body parts.
  • Dresses self.
  • Follows one- and two-step directions.
  • Stays on task.
  • Cooperates and interacts in group experiences.
  • Speaks clearly and uses sentences.

According to the Sacramento County (CA) board concerned with early education, it is a list of skills that children should have when they enter kindergarten. Now think about where you work and the people around you. Perhaps a remedial class might be a good thing...

Here's a house update for you: Looks like the tenants in my condo have found a place to live and will be moving out of the condo at the end of June. My mortgage rate -- which is pretty good -- is locked until June 13, so I have to close then and become a temporary landlord, or I can push my mortgage guy to work up a new mortgage just as the lock expires. The long-term rates have fallen slightly, so this would not be a bad thing. Just have to figure out what I risk by waiting to close.... Of course, the longer I wait to move in, the worse my memory becomes -- and the better and bigger the condo is in my mind. Impatiently yours, NATHAN

No comments: