Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Sixteenth posting - nephew

Today's blog is a little deviation from the norm. This morning I received an e-mail from my sister about my nephew's experience at a Florida minor league baseball game. I hope you enjoy the following excerpt. NATHAN

"Good evening baseball fans! Well, most of you are probably reading this in the morning, but it is 10:45pm here! The kids and I just got back from Connor's last day of school activity at a Clearwater Threshers vs. Palm Beach Cardinals minor league baseball game. Jon unfortunately had to miss it and is in Arizona. Anyway, it was such an incredible time, I thought I would tell everyone about it and at one time.

We got in for $12 a person (Abby free) and got tickets to any seat in the stadium and free food from 5:30-8:30. I of course loved the all you can eat for one price. So the kids first played on their playground, then ate, and then we took our popcorn, ice cream sandwiches, and drinks to out seats. I chose next to 3rd base. So around the 3rd inning, some general manager said that Connor and Abby could sit close to the field with him. Connor had his mitt on ready to catch a fly ball the entire time.

He and the guy chatted and then after the 4 or 5th inning, he took Connor onto the field, the umpire gave him a brush, and Connor got to sweep home plate! Then at the 7th inning stretch, he gave Connor the microphone and he lead the crowd to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". Just before that Connor had to use the potty, so he let him use the one that the players used, too. Then at the end of the game, all of the kids get to run the bases. He was out on the field doing some ball throwing thing to win $$ and he nnounced, "Connor are you ready to run the bases. Connor, remember to let your little sister come, too."

Well, the game ended and Connor was like .05% sad that he didn't catch any fly balls and all of a sudden another manager came up and said, "Here you go," and threw him a game ball! Last but not least, the first manager guy gave me his card and said, "Next time you guys come to a game, please give me a call and I will have Connor throw out the first pitch!" Now that's cool! On the way to the car Connor said, "This was one of the best days of my life!"

Don't you wish you were five again?

No comments: