Monday, April 25, 2005

Eleventh posting - money

For those of you concerned that I will not like my furniture when I move into my new place...rest assured, problem solved. I went back to Room and Board -- http://www.roomandboard.com -- and re-ordered the same stuff I cancelled last month. And I ordered a table. Not that I won the lottery or got an unexpected bonus (ha), I just got a better handle on my finances and figured out what I could and could not afford. Next week I'm meeting with the sauna guy and installing a woodburning pizza oven in the kitchen. Just kidding.

Many people have given me advice about buying a condo/house, and if I too can offer words of advice, it is this simple message: Don't be afraid to ask questions! My biggest problem is overcoming the fear that asking questions means I can't do something (or won't be perceived as being able to do something). This whole process is new to me, and elements that I take for granted -- most recently, that my few thousand dollars as a good faith deposit will suffice as a legit down-payment -- should continuously be second-guessed. Turns out the seller is supposed to get the 10% upfront, unless you finagle some other kind of deal. I hadn't.

Enjoy your weeks! NATHAN

No comments: