Saturday, January 14, 2006

Fifty-first posting - tour

Two down, one to go. Tonight marks the third leg of my "farewell tour." What I love about these has been the chance to say good-bye to people I will miss -- the same reason I have dreaded each one. Thursday was a happy hour in CT - and the evening finished with someone (not with us) singing the absolute worst karaoke I'd ever heard. I tried to think of that as a sign of something, but nothing came to mind. Last night was my last dinner group. The theme was British - UK, and we did our best for a Friday night. The hosts had a great big house for it, and these were some of my closest friends in the area. Truth be told, it was self-serving of me to encourage this group to form, but I don't think any of us (after 6 dinners) has any regrets. Oh, for those of you looking for a good single malt Scotch, try 14 year Oban. Ummm...

This afternoon a friend asked me whether I was psyched about moving West. I told her that I truly was, although I'm trying to hold back on freaking out with excitement because it sort of seems too good to be true. The Pacific Northwest fits my outdoor interests, the new job is in the cycling/fitness industry, the company is smaller and (hopefully) less burdened by bureaucray, and real estate (and life overall) is more affordable. What's not to like?

I also told her that in the battle of my Heart's excitement vs. my Mind's too-many-practical-things-to-think-about, my Mind always wins. Fortunately, I think they're both right this time.

Have a great weekend! NATHAN

No comments: