Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Ninth posting - Mexico

It's been a while, folks. I know you've missed me...and a lot has happened since we last met. First, I visited a good friend in Mexico City. A city so maligned in the US that few tourists would even consider visiting -- FOR NO GOOD REASON. There are so many museums and parks and great restaurants and interesting people, that it seems silly to be daunted by the many millions of people, thousands of feet of altitude and bazillion particles of dust and pollution. Heck, New York has almost as many people... And LA has its smog. Plus I couldn't go a block in Mexico City without a terrific smell of tortillas on some mamasita's grill, or freshly blended tropical fruit, or the perfume of a highly scented senora on her way to work. Granted, I was there between the 2 weeks when Mexico Citians vacate for the country or the water, but still, it was fantastic.

While I was gone my landlord removed my kitchen, built a door between my apt and the neighbors', and got the building inspector to approve everything. She did...but threatened to revoke it if my kitchen was returned. So I now have a fridge, microwave (which I don't like to use), coffee maker, and generous neighbors. Very awkward without a sink or stove. Condo hunting is going slowly, and I've liked 3 places so far: the first I wasn't ready to commit to, the second already had an accepted offer, and the third was too far from the office. I'm the first backup bid for the second but I'm not holding my breath.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to survive on microwaving, let me know...

Zap, NATHAN

No comments: