Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Fifty-seventh posting - Polynesia

A short entry today, friends.

(1) There is an active movement afoot here called Keep Portland Weird. This manifests itself in the odd combination of great cafes and restaurants in undeveloped, industrial locations; in the surprisingly high unemployment combined with fast-growing inner city gentrification; in the (healthy) obsession the city has with bike friendliness; and in the complete lack of pretension (I could imagine hearing the following – “Wow, Martha’s wearing her “good fleece” tonight – must be a fancy date.”)

(2) Serious discussions at the office include the words ripped, stacked, rockin' and killer; the merits of advertising in Muscle Polynesia magazine; and how Preacher Curls are through the roof.

(3) Regarding the home search, I have seen more than 30 houses over the past 4 weeks. Of them, I’d say 3 were really close to what I’m looking for, and 2 would have been ok in a pinch. I am beginning to get the knack for spotting a “flipped” house, which may not be a bad thing (if it was “flipped” well). Unlike the Old Curry House back East, this time I will buy what I really really like.

(4) My training has been taken up a notch by a woman who started here when I did. She’s a chatty marathoner, which makes running not such a chore. An odd duck, but a good companion. Like my bro-in-law next weekend, hopefully I can get a half-marathon in this spring…

(5) Dick Cheney is an asshole.

That’s it, kids. NATHAN

No comments: