Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Twenty-ninth posting - dirt

All – the adjustment to my new place has gone swimmingly lately. The crap I have had to put up with seems to have abated, for now, and my lists of What I Like and What I Don’t Like about the condo are tilting a little more toward What I Like. I won’t bore you with the details (yet), but I did meet a couple on my floor who seemed younger than 70. This is good.

This weekend I went to a fantastic restaurant in midtown called Mix, one of Alain Ducasse’s creations. I read the reviews beforehand, and they were so-so (although all written prior to a recent change in chef). Based on my experience, the reviewers should try again. We had the prix fixe tasting menu, and each dish seemed to get better and better over the course of evening. A highlight was asparagus spears with a scoop of Parmesan “ice cream.” The service was outstanding, and the atmosphere felt like a tripped out Scandinavian airport lounge … with better music.


Sunday I went to see Dave Matthews (and the Black Eyed Peas, among others) play at Randall’s Island, in NY. It should have been billed as Dust Fest 2005. The location was interesting and would have been great, had the ground not been dry as a bone, with 4 and a half blades of grass on an area the size of 2 football fields. We didn’t show up until 5, so the air was saturated with dust – and even today, I still feel a little like Pigpen. My advice: if you’re going to get dirty, roll in it. NATHAN

(P.S. I miss Lance. Next up is La Vuelta Espana - Tour of Spain, or as the official website calls it -- Breathless spectacle, terrible passion, thousands of people, what a discovery.... " He's not riding in it, but it's road biking, so it's good.)

No comments: