Friday, August 12, 2005

Thirty-first posting - dream

It's ok to dream, right? I dream -- a lot -- that someday, I will walk home from work through the woods, put on my sneakers and go for a run. When I return, I will grab a muffin from the muffin shop, say hello to Gerta/Annie/Sue the muffin lady, and then walk back home. Another day I will walk home through the woods, get on my bike and ride for a couple of hours with folks who live nearby and want to be competitive sometimes and relaxed other times. Is that too much to ask?

Today my company's electronic systems seem to be on the fritz, including the phones, and my dependence on all things electronic became strikingly apparent. I don't like that. I also don't like knowing that I'll feel better with the air conditioning on in my condo because it's humid as all get-out. And I don't like knowing that so much of the crap I buy comes in plastic that I try my best to recycle but didn't need to be packaged in plastic in the first place. And finally, I don't like the fact that my company's cafeteria uses styrofoam at lunch and in the coffee rooms. Come to think of it, maybe I should start bringing my lunch and buying only what doesn't need packaging....

Is it guilt for not making this a better world? Maybe. Is it just a random Friday afternoon thought before I head to Block Island with my bike club tomorrow? Yes. Enjoy your weekends, NATHAN

No comments: