Thursday, December 01, 2005

Forty-eighth posting - Arabia

Not much going on lately in my world, except I’ve been thinking (hard) about what I’m going to do when I leave this company. There is a fitness equipment/bike apparel company on the West Coast, a few environmental nonprofits in Washington, a toy company in San Francisco, the world of public television, and so on. All sound great on paper, but I haven’t been to a single one yet.

I have spoken with two companies so far. I’d give my first phone interview a 3 out of 10. The second I’d give a 9. The difference between the two was that I felt in control in the second, and completely under water during the first. I just realized today about the control thing. While I’m not the kind of Type A that a lot of people here (at the office) are, I still qualify under a definition of “relating to a behavior pattern marked by tenseness, impatience, and aggressiveness.” I am impatient with a capital I. Oh, if anyone has a suggestion for a weakness other than “I tend to have messy handwriting,” please let me know.

My Thanksgiving was good, although because of an unfortunate death of an older relative, this was one of my first without my immediate family. I spent it with friends in Washington, and we shared the traditional turkey and sides and random conversations that I enjoy. Over the weekend (actually, over 3 days) I saw Lawrence of Arabia, which does not star, as I’ve been corrected twice, Sir Lawrence Olivier. Peter O’Toole, however, was a bit of a freak, although this is clearly an epic film with few peers. This was also a weekend of Tex-Mex times two, which made it even better. Most of you know that the more Tex-Mex I eat, the happier I am. In my prior life, I was probably from somewhere close to the Rio Grande…

Last thing. I heartily recommend Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential – as a book on tape (or CD). I’ve listened to it – read by the chef himself – and found it amazingly fascinating. My lofty dream of owning and/or running my own restaurant has been triumphantly squashed, although I may be interested in joining someone as a silent partner (you know, the kind that puts in a very small amount of cash, eats for free whenever he wants, but otherwise has no real responsibilities). Is that too much to ask?

NATHAN

No comments: