Monday, June 20, 2005

Twenty-first posting - eyes

Another duathlon under my belt. This one was the combined Long Island Gold Coast Triathlon /Duathlon, and for many of the competitors, was a prelim course for New York Triathlon on July 17. (I, however, was far far away from the triathletes.) There were almost 700 total competitors, 80 of whom raced in the duathlon (and all were happy we didn’t have to swim in the sixty-degree Long Island Sound).

The event was billed as a 3 mile run + 12 mile ride + 3 mile run. The runs didn’t end up that way – but I have yet to receive word on the final distances. Overall I came in 9th, top of my age group with time of 1:15:14, and my best time actually came in the first run. The ride had a couple of tight turns, which made things interesting, particularly when I got to swoop past some of the first timers. I do know that I averaged 19.5 mph on the bike, which I felt pretty good about.

I took some advice from Active.com and tried to fine a “peripheral vision” zone that let me focus more internally than externally. With the exception of the bike-to-run transition (the brick), I think it actually worked. Really. The idea is that you look ahead but pay less attention to what’s happening in front of you than to your sides. It works when you’re passing, but it’s very hard to do it when you’re being passed. I also felt like it gave my eyes a rest – strange, I know.

Give it a try this week, but not while you’re driving. Vroom vroom, NATHAN

No comments: